Thursday, May 24, 2012

Washington DC Day 6

Today Sakura and I ventured out and about on our own - I was a little nervous after getting lost the last time we used the Metro alone .... but I also didn't want to be stuck in a hotel room all day watching Doc McStuffins which is what would have happened (although I do like the show VERY much, I just didn't fly so far to watch it).... so Sakura and I checked out the National Zoo.  We made the long trek to the Metro, figured out how to purchase our ticket with a little help from a friendly guy servicing one of the machines, boarded and everything.  I was quite proud!

Since Washington DC celebrated the Centennial celebration of the gift of the cherry blossom trees, they had LOTS of things with sakura blossoms on them - which thrilled me!  Unfortunately the zoo visit itself was quite short lived, it was HOTTER than hot, and I swear every school from around the globe (maybe not THAT many but close!) was there on school field trips - we did manage to see some animals, zebras and the pandas, but mostly just walked around, ate lunch then headed across the street for some frozen yogurt before making the trek back to the Metro station and "home".

Zoo time with Sakura!
Adorable panda hat with sakura blossoms!
Loved all of the hydrangeas all over
the city.
I spotted this cute bear statue outside the Marriott
Sakura was trying to give him a hug!

No comments: