Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sakura starts 'school' --- Day 1

Well the day has finally come for Sakura to start "school" - meaning moving from the comfort of our good friend Katie (Sakura's other Mommy's house) to a daycare facility with instruction. We chose to have Sakura start at the CDC (aka: Child Development Center) on base where we both work because it is nearby, comes with high recommendations from many co-workers, and because since there is Gov't regulations on everything they do there (it is basically set-up for military families). I knew this day would come, and had already even started considering having Sakura attend just one day a week for awhile, then Katie told me that it was time that she start looking for a job, so we basically just pushed things forward. We were so fortunate to have Katie watch Sakura for so long - we will miss Katie SOOOOOO much! We couldn't have asked or wished for anyone better to take care of Sakura, she took care of her like she was her own - as did her kiddos. They love Sakura and Sakura will miss them very much!

So today went a little worse than I had hoped. I really thought I would be okay --- and I was, just up until the time we walked out of the classroom and Sakura saw us leave through the door and cried "M-O-M-M-Y", then I lost it. We were putting her extra clothes in her cubby and had said our goodbye's, she saw us leave then that's when she cried...and cried...and cried, and I cried, and cried, and cried - almost the whole way to physical therapy.

Sakura is doing a 'transition' week this week, then will go full-time starting next Monday when I go back to work (post-surgery). I had everything ready, my dark sunglasses (thanks Auntie Candi for suggesting that!), Kleenex, everything - and walked out the door without them this morning! Geez! I was crying and crying and the agency director walked out and introduced herself telling me that Sakura would be okay and to call as many times as I wanted. I did call when I got to physical therapy and got the report that Sakura was doing fine, she was happy and talking to Miss Myra and painting! That was great to hear, I was SO happy! I called later (around 1:00 or so) to check on how she had done, and got a full report from Miss Myra - Sakura did great, she ate well, she is now SLEEPING! I was shocked, Sakura took a nap on the cot - they have these little cots that they put out for the kids - and you can bring a special blanket, or whatever - I also forgot a blanket - even though I intended to take one with us and even started using one special blanket here at home knowing it would go with her and she would recognize that blanket as being from home and be okay....well luckily Sakura did well and napped. Her Daddy picked her up at 2:15 and she was just waking up - still on her cot but her eyes were open. He said that when she saw him, she started crying - Miss Myra said that she hadn't cried all day (until she saw Daddy!).

So Day 1 is done, and hopefully the rest is easier ? LOL ! I'm sure it will be tough for a few days/weeks, then Sakura will love going and having kiddos to play with - which is another reason I wanted her at a facility instead of another friend's house - which was my second option. I think Sakura needs socialization and she will get it here. The nice part is the classroom is small - right now there are only 6 in Sakura's class. Today there were 3 total (including Sakura).

Many thanks to all of our family and friends for their well wishes today! It means a lot to have such a great support group of Auntie's that love Sakura!

Here are a few pictures I took with my phone this morning.

Daddy and Sakura headed to school

Hanging out in the lobby while the information was put into the computer, Sakura couldn't even go to her class until everything was input and they could assign her.
"It will be OK as long as I have Daddy!" Yes, Sakura IS a Daddy's girl!
Snuggles for Daddy
Hanging out playing in the lobby

Daddy checking out the daily schedules
Sakura's first few minutes in the classroom....she seemed VERY unsure!

It's not so bad...there are toys here :) NEW toys!

Sakura was playing and having fun right up until we kissed her and said Bye.
I was quite surprised, the other little girl that was there is just a few days younger than Sakura and she was actually quite a bit smaller -
Sakura is usually a shortie (I think) but this little one was shorter than Sakura.


Cynthia, Daniel, and Cameron said...

Sorry the 1st day was so hard but I'm sure it'll get easier for all of you once she gets used to it. It must have been such a relief to hear she did fine once you left! Hope it keeps getting easier!

Btw, Sakura's backpack is soooo cute... just like her!:)

Julie said...

Big, big hugs to you and Sakura-chan! Sorry you both had a rough start, but it'll get better. She seems to had fun in class and she's going to make a lot of friends too.